Friday, August 1, 2008

How to Motivate Low-Motivated Students


About Me: In Brief

Getting away from my comfortable house every evening, has made special impression into my life. My job as an evening teacher teaches me a lot on how to deal with students. I worked for a famous English course in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia. I love working in this institution, I have gone through some fun moments. Through this kind of experience, I learned a lot, and I'll keep learning till unlimited time that I can never predict.

In my country, there is never enough salary to pay teachers. I don't know why, I kept questioning this thing, but it is useless. All we have to do is just do our best and let God do the rest.

My students are unique. They are the next generation that are going to lead this country to the future. Sometimes I think I need to give what they need, unfortunately the kids do not really understand. All youngsters want to master English so that they can face the future better. That is exactly the same perception their parents give to them. Most students convey this common reason to me, everytime I open the class. One of their biggest dreams is having international business relationship. To me, that's great and challenging. However, they do not want to do the process, I mean the hard work and that's a pity.

Since my class is only a course, they just neglect it. The hard challenge is how to motivate them to love or to realize that the course is important.

How to motivate them?

Motivation is something that is necessary for anyone. We can not be successful without motivation. It seems easy to be said, but it's not that easy to apply. The challenge is every student has different way to be motivated. As teachers we have a noble job to motivate students, give them good dreams and hopes and make them optimistic towards the future. I did some points to motivate my students.

1. Dig their deepest dream

I asked my students about their deepest dreams. I made dreams' tree and sticked it on the wall. Then they students had to write down their dreams on a piece of paper (that had been already shaped like leaves), and sticked it on the wall around the picture of tree's trunk.

2. Teach them how to make an affirmation

I brought mirror to the class. The mirror was quite big enough, so that all their body could be seen in the mirror. I asked them to say their dream while looking at their eyes on the mirror. They had to say it three times. For instance, "I want to have international business" (they said 3 times).

3. Involve them in a discussion about the consequences they must do in order to make their dreams come true.

Communication is important. We need to open interaction with students a lot. Give questions, let them answer. The more questions we give the more information we can get from the students. I asked them about the consequences "What should you do to make it true?", they would answer variously. I made coloum on the whiteboard and my private note, as a visualization and reminder towards their sayings.

4. Always remind them when they are not in a good mood

The importance of notes as a reminder is we can always remind our students with their dreams whenever they are in a bad mood. If necessary, sometimes I brought pictures that represent their dreams. For example; a picture of London, great houses, magnificent places, etc.

5. Persist and Do not Stop

Do not stop motivating. Each student has different magic moment. When a student has their hot button and he or she finds his/her magic moment, it will be easier to shape or educate them. This is the hardest job that teachers rarely can do, regarding their low salary.

To conclude, as a teacher we learn how to teach, and teach how to learn. Listen more, talk less, let the students express themselves, then we just direct them to the right path. Actually they know what to do. I am talking about adults' learners. All I know, they just need confirmation on their thoughts.

1 comment:

Agus Nugroho said...

Hello Nafisa,


Just had time to read your blog, it is very good blog and has very inspired content!

I am very happy since I am the first person who leaved comment on your great blog. Keep up the good work!!!

Agus